Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Weekly Read Wednesday: Harry's Box

What's that? It's Wednesday already? I guess that's what happens when you have an extra weekend day... the rest of the week just sort of sneaks by you. Today is already starting out weird. My daughter is still asleep at 10:00 a.m. (?!?), and I turned the coffee maker on without adding any water. It's going to be that kind of day, isn't it?


Well, now that I've established that it is, in fact, Wednesday, let me share an adorable find from the library: Harry's Box by Angela McAllister.


The book begins when Harry and his mother return home from the store, and she gives him the empty box to play with. Kids and boxes, right?


Harry, like all children, has quite the imagination! He puts the box in the kitchen and it becomes a shop selling all kinds of treats and goodies.


His dog is his playmate throughout the book, and Harry finds a role for him to play in each new imaginary set-up.


My favorite part of the book is seeing how imaginative Harry's creations are in his mind...


...and then seeing a picture of what was really taking place. I love it!


The book ends as Harry and his dog dream up all the box creations they can come up with next. I love the pictures in this book and the emphasis on using your imagination! It's such a cute, simple story, and I'm glad we picked it up at the library this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment